Easy ways that YOU can make a difference
- Become a member of your organization. Membership gives non-profit groups a voice in the community - and to law and policy makers in the case of groups like the SPCA.
- Do you own a business? Consider donating a gift certificate or service to be used as a fundraising tool. This is a win-win situation. Your business gains some extra exposure and you may end up with a new customer.
- Donating money can sometimes be difficult in these trying times however it is important to know that even a small amount can be significant to an organization.
- Many groups will accept as little as a $10/month donation taken directly from your bank. Many smaller organizations appreciate a direct payment to their vet or food/supply store.
- Check with the company you work for. Many companies have matching gift programs. If you donate money to a charity – so will they.
- Get together with your neighbours and collect/return empty bottles. Donate all or a portion of the proceeds.
- Host a party and ask your guests to bring donations for your local organization. Many children do this for their birthday parties.
- If you see that your organization is hosting an event – attend – and bring friends. You will have an enjoyable time; meet like-minded people and you may even win a prize.
- Open your home to a foster animal. Not everyone wants to, or can, have pets 24/7/365. Fostering allows you to open your home temporarily to an animal in need. This can be anything from a mum with a litter to orphaned young and sick or injured animals needing a safe place to recuperate. It’s a great way to teach your kids about animals without having to make a lifetime commitment.
- Tell 5 people what you learned today and ask them to pass along the message.
Shamsun (Sam) Niazi has worked with non-profit groups since 2000 and is the owner of Kitty Korners – Cat Hotel and Mini Party Animals, home of Puppy the 29” Miniature horse. email@example.com 250-740-KATS(5287)